Friday, September 25, 2009

For the week of September 28th

Response to Intervention small groups began this past Monday. There were some minor problems, but overall, students moved smoothly to new areas, and have been working hard to make progress in their reading. I have spoken to or had email correspondence with a number of parents, and am pleased with the positive feedback, helpful suggestions, and questions about how parents can help their children at home. Many weeks on my blog I write about different things you can do with your student - things which are enjoyable and beneficial at the same time. Look back over my past blog posts to get some ideas. I will be sharing more ideas as the weeks go on.

The most important thing you can do if your child struggles some with reading is to spend time sitting with them and reading. It is sometimes difficult for a child to force themselves to do something that is hard but it is more fun, and it is easier if a parent is doing it with them.