Friday, February 21, 2014

For the Week of February 24th

Chess Club

Both clubs meet this week. We have been discussing opening moves and how important it is to get control of the center of the board as early as possible. I am still in need of parent volunteers for Wednesday's club if anyone is interested in helping out.

No School Friday, February 28th

February 28th is teacher institute day. There will be no school.

Questioning

Questioning is a very important skill to learn to use when reading. Students who learn to ask questions as they read become active readers, engaged with the text, and they retain more of what they read. Some important questions to ask ourselves while reading are: What is the author trying to say? How is he/she making his/her point? Am I learning anything I don't know as I read this? Am I changing my thinking in any way? Do I agree or disagree with what the author is saying? When you are reading with your child you might ask them what questions they have as they are reading.